I need a break from my mother’s illness. Surprisingly what helps me is focusing on school. I have a lot of exams coming and I really need to do well on them, or at least pass them in order to finish my degree.
Here is my fight plan to get through the next two weeks.
- I’m taking my notebook with my exam notes everywhere, so I can go over my notes any time.
- I make sure I get 8 hours of sleep.
- I force myself to get out of my apartment before 9, because if I don’t I won’t make it outside before 2 pm, and then half the day is already wasted.
- Lists… whenever I need to get something done, I need to make lists, lists, lists.
- I will not be going out, drink or indulge in those pleasant evenings with my neighbors. I have the sweetest neighbors in the world, but any time we get together, the evenings never end.
- I try to avoid cramming, instead I try to portion the material, because if I need to learn this all at once, I can bury myself right away.
- Eating healthy, for me this means eating enough veggies and substituting my love for soda pops with green tea.
In the weirdest way, school work is becoming my safe haven. College is giving me a space that I can be myself in separate from my mother battling cancer. Others are already leaving university, but I don’t want to yet. It is the only place that feels right to me at this moment in my life.